Sunday 17 November 2013

Alfie Boe: The singer we trust

I saw an advert on TV today for a guy called Alfie Boe, who appears to be the latest person to basically just do a covers album but in a slightly operatic fashion, which will inevitably sell millions of copies as it is an ideal Xmas gift for middle aged women. If that seems like a sweeping generalisation, that's because it is.

Anyway, while the voiceover man was giving it the usual guff about how good Mr Boe is, he said the following line: "The voice you love, the singer you trust". What? The singer I trust? I, like I imagine a shitload of other people in this country, have never met the man, and thus don't know him on the level where we can trust him. Also, trust him with what? Financial advice? Our deepest secrets? Our lives? I've seen a lot of adverts for a lot of middle of the road singers who seem to primarily do covers of songs anyone over 40 already owns, but I've never been informed of my trust in them before. This "trust" I have in Alfie was previously unbeknownst to me, but apparently we all share in it. So the next time you want to tell someone a big secret, or are seeking confidential advice about anything whatsoever, or if you are in a situation where your life is in danger and you need protecting in some way, go and find Alfie Boe.

Because in Alfie Boe we trust. Apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment